|UPCOMING MEETING DATES||DEADLINE FOR SPACE REQUEST|
|November 16, 2017||November 9, 2017|
|January 18, 2018||January 11, 2018|
|March 29, 2018||March 22, 2018|
|May 24, 2018||May 17, 2018|
|July 26, 2018||July 19, 2018|
|September 27, 2018||September 20, 2018|
|November 29, 2018||November 22, 2018|
In recognition of the importance of space management, the Provost has charged a Space Use Advisory Committee (SUAC) to reinvigorate the campus approach toward space. The SUAC is responsible for:
- Developing policies, procedures and other recommendations concerning the use and renovation of space and the allocation of existing space,
- Recommending allocations of University space, including off-campus leased space, and
- Developing procedures to synchronize unit space planning during the annual capital plan development process.
|Bryan Brown||Space Management Program Manager; Budget & Planning|
|Emmanuel Giannelis||Vice Provost for Research|
|Barbara Knuth||Senior Vice Provost and Dean of the Graduate School|
|Mary Opperman||Vice President for Human Resources|
|Kellie Page||Associate Vice President for Finance & Administration; Student & Campus Life|
|Rick Burgess||Vice President of Infrastructure, Properties and Planning|
|Vacant||Vice Provost for Undergraduate Education|
|Vice President of Budget and Planning|
|Jeremy Thomas||Senior Director, Cornell Real Estate; Infrastructure, Properties and Planning|
Charge to the Committee
The Provost charges the Space Use Advisory Committee with developing policies, procedures and other recommendations concerning the use and renovation of space, the allocation of existing space, and planning for future allocation needs. The SUAC will make recommendations on all allocations of University space, including off-campus leased space.
The Space Use Advisory Committee will:
- Develop space management principles to provide a consistent framework to (1) allocate space, (2) plan for future space needs of the organization, and (3) manage Cornell space effectively and efficiently.
- Recommend a University process for reallocation of space and develop memorandum of understanding templates and procedures to engender trust and transparencies for space transactions.
- Revise Policy 2.7, Reporting the Use of Facilities.
- Update the Cornell space guidelines to reflect current best practices in higher education related to the size of spaces, utilization rates, and building/space type efficiencies.
- Develop procedures that require accountability to the Cornell space guidelines for capital projects that create new space or change use of existing space.
- Develop procedures that require units to update space plans during the annual capital plan development process.
- Develop standard reports to enhance transparency and consistency.
- Recommend improvements to the facilities inventory system and evolution toward a space management system.
- Provide advice and counsel to the director of Space Planning, the manager of Facilities Inventory and the manager of Indirect Cost and others with regard to interpretation of policies.
- Serve as the executive group for space utilization studies, to provide uniformity in approach and interpretation.
- Develop mechanisms to share best practices within Cornell, with academic peers and within professional organizations.