An organizational structure defines how activities such as task allocation, coordination and supervision are directed towards the achievement of organizational aims. It can also be considered as the viewing glass or perspective through which individuals see their organization and its environment.
Cornell employs both definitions of organizational structure. Organizational Charts represent how the university organizes its functions and organizational structures defined within systems, driving security, business processes, and reporting, represent the “lenses” used to view the university from different perspectives. There are three Primary Organizational Structures used to view the institution: Financial, Human Resources, and Academic.
The Division of Budget and Planning maintains organizational charts for the President, the Provosts, the Executive Vice President and the majority of their direct reports. They are updated as needed, but at least annually as of July 1st. Update requests should be sent to Univ-Org-Chart@cornell.edu.
- Provost (pdf)
- University Counsel and Secretary of the Corporation (pdf)
- Executive Vice President and Chief Financial Officer (pdf)
- Deputy Provost (pdf)
- Vice Provost for Research and Vice President for Technology Transfer, Intellectual Property, and Research Policy (pdf)
- Vice Provost (pdf)
- Vice Provost for Undergraduate Education (pdf)
- Senior Vice Provost and Dean of the Graduate School (pdf)
- Vice Provost for International Affairs (pdf)
- Vice President for Budget and Planning (pdf)
- Vice President for Financial Affairs (pdf)
- Vice President for Infrastructure, Properties and Planning (pdf)
- Vice President for University Relations (pdf)
- Vice President for Alumni Affairs and Development (pdf)
- Vice President and Chief Human Resources Officer (pdf)
- Vice President for Student and Campus Life (pdf)
- Vice President for Information Technologies and Chief Information Officer (pdf)
- University Auditor (pdf)
- Chief Investment Officer (pdf)
New York City Tech Campus
- Provost for Medical Affairs and Dean, Weill Cornell Medical College (pdf)
- Dean, Weill Cornell Medicine Graduate School of Medical Sciences (pdf)
- Dean, Weill Cornell Medicine – Qatar (pdf)
- Senior Associate Dean Education, Weill Cornell Medicine (pdf)
- Vice Dean Research, Weill Cornell Medicine (pdf)
- Vice Dean and Senior Associate Dean Clinical Affairs, Weill Cornell Medicine (pdf)
- President and CEO Physician Organization, Weill Cornell Medicine (pdf)
- Executive Vice Provost for Administration and Finance, Weill Cornell Medicine (pdf)
- Vice Provost External Affairs, Weill Cornell Medicine (pdf)
 Pugh, D. S., ed. (1990).Organization Theory: Selected Readings. Harmondsworth: Penguin.
 Jacobides., M. G. (2007). The inherent limits of organizational structure and the unfulfilled role of hierarchy: Lessons from a near-war. Organization Science, 18, 3, 455-477.